There are many tools for business nowadays. Mobile technology is just one of them. As with every tool for every purpose, you need to choose the right tool for the right purpose to succeed. If you are an owner of a small or middle business, an innovator, a startup owner who has come up with the idea of establishing a mobile presence, you need to handle these tools carefully. Maybe you want to enhance your business with a mobile product.
Maybe you want to build your business on such a product. But what you need is the same – find a solid profitable niche, broaden the client audience, and know more about the pitfalls that are waiting around the corner, to avoid them.
These are the issues that will be discussed today. First, we’ll talk about the mobile world and look at some statistics. Second, we’ll talk about the choice of the right tools for your purposes. And third, we’ll sum it up and offer several recommendations to hold on to.
Statistics Knows Everything
Let’s start with some interesting statistics about the leading mobile platforms, their market share, cost of devices, app downloads and monetization.
According to IDC, last year the average cost of a high-end device fell down 19%, and now is $426. The average cost of a smartphone fell down 8,2% and now is $407. IDC analytics expects this decline to continue this year.
As for market share, 75% belongs to Android, 17% belongs to iOS, 4% is Windows Phone, and the rest is occupied by BlackBerry and smaller operating systems.
When it comes to downloads, Android holds the lead with 58% and iOS has 33%, while the remaining 9% are divided among smaller platforms.
But if we take a look at monetization, the situation is different. iOS is the obvious leader with 65% of revenues, Android has 27%, and other platforms’ share constitutes 8%.
According to StatCounter, in the USA iOS leads with 51,5%, Android is the runner-up with 39%, and BlackBerry has 4,5%. In Europe the situation is different: Android leads with 46%, iOS follows with 39%, while BlackBerry occupies 5%.
Mobile Solution Advantages
What are the most popular industries nowadays? Let’s take a look:
– health care;
– marketing and advertising;
– communication and social networks;
– mobile games.
On the other hand, we have three main types of software used for business: a standard website, a mobile website and a mobile application. The following tables will show you the differences between target audiences and the peculiarities/advantages of these three types of business software.
As you can see, mobile applications are installed by fans and loyal users and are purposefully created for those. The main advantages of mobile apps are marked red, such as convenience infrequent use and offline work – which means accessibility 24 hours a day. Mobile websites are good at eCommerce experience, HORECA and legal services. Desktop websites work for every industry and gain casual visitors. As opposed, mobile websites are for interested visitors who use mobile browsing to find something particular.
Let’s sum it up and outline the main points to remember before starting to plan and establish your mobile presence:
1) A mobile application can be used for business support, but as well it can be your business in itself.
2) Each tool is good for its purpose. There is no need in doing anything ‘for future use’.
3) You don’t necessarily have to scale your business following the classic scheme – from a website to a mobile app.
4) It doesn’t matter whether a project begins with a website or an app – there must always be a promotional landing page.
5) There is no need for orient at market leaders. There is always a niche that you can occupy.
6) There are two general requirements that your business dictates: generation of sales and letting the maximum number of interested people know about the company and the product. As opposed to this, an average user of a mobile product will expect:
– ease of use and understandability;
– emotional component; brand, logo, and general appearance of the website must correspond to the philosophy, popularized by the brand;
– speed of operation;
– convenience in use.
That’s why everything depends on your industry, business model, goals, and target user audience. Use the right tool and achieve your goals!